Enterprise team to submit report on lack of bids for NMIA by month end

VIEWED 27 TIMES

Enterprise team to submit report on lack of bids for NMIA by month end

by Patrice Walters

Transport Minister, Dr. Omar Davies, says he expects to get a report at the end of this month, outlining the reasons for the lack of bids, for the privatisation of the Norman Manley International Airport, in Kingston.

Speaking in Parliament this afternoon (January 12) Dr. Davies explained that in April last year, 5 international companies were short listed, to participate in the bidding process, to select a concessionaire, to develop and operate the airport.

However, at the close of the bidding process last December, no bid was received.

Concern was then raised by the Opposition JLP, as to why there was no bid.

Dr. Davies says, in light of the concerns, he has asked the enterprise team, to carry-out an assessment of the bidding process.

He adds that some companies have already expressed interest of possible participation in a resumed bidding process, should one be conducted.

Dr. Davies states, that as of December 2015, the process had cost government about US $1 m.

The minister also pointed-out, that the Airports Authority of Jamaica, is intent on continuing with the expansion plans for the Kingston airport, as the entity made significant revenue earnings, last year.

He says the development of the North-South Highway, will also contribute to increased traffic through the airport.

In the meantime, Opposition Spokesman on Transport Mike Henry this afternoon put his government counterpart on the spot, tackling him about his statement made in Parliament about the privatisation of the Norman Manley International Airport.

Transport Minister Dr. Omar Davies told the House that he expects to get a report at the end of the month as to the reason no bid was made by any of the 5 investors that had been short listed for the project.

Mike Henry asked if the investors failed to make a bid because they claimed that the rate of return would not make the project viable.

Mr. Henry also asked Dr. Davies if the bid bond contributed to no bids.

Less then 1% of Stations Selling Bad Gas

The Chairman of the Bureau of Standards Jamaica, BSJ, Professor Winston Davidson, says less than 1-percent of all gas stations across the island, are still selling bad gas.

However, motorists continue to complain that bad gas and contaminated diesel fuel are still being sold.

At the height of the bad gas issue, 17 of the country’s 340 gas stations, were confirmed to be selling bad gas.

That’s about 5-percent of all gas stations.

Professor Davidson says given the control measures that have been implemented, the number is now less than 1-percent.

That’s three pumps at three gas stations, two of which are in the Corporate Area.

Professor Davidson says all three pumps remain closed.

However, despite this assertion, motorists continue to complain about bad gas being sold at some gas stations, including some which were ordered closed by the BSJ and then given the all clear to reopen.

Nationwide News has also received reports from persons who suspect that bad diesel fuel may have caused damage to their motor vehicles or equipment.

The BSJ Chairman says there’s no evidence to support this.

Professor Davidson says to date the BSJ has not tested diesel fuel, because there’s been no need to.

He says he expects that motorists in other countries will soon start making reports about bad gas.

Meanwhile, the Opposition Spokesman on Energy, Senator Robert Montague, is cautioning the Government against making the Bureau of Standards Jamaica the scapegoat for the bad gas scandal.

Senator Montague says the Government is ultimately responsible for the crisis, which he says has been badly managed.

-30-

2 Garvey Maceo High students remain hospitalised

2 Garvey Maceo High students remain hospitalised

by Patrice Walters

Two students of the Garvey Maceo High School remain in hospital, following a motor vehicle accident along Foga Road in May Pen, Clarendon, this morning (January 12).

Police say their injuries are not considered life threatening. Eighteen others were treated, and released from hospital.

Head of the Traffic Division, Senior Superintendent of Police, Calvin Allen, says the injured students were passengers in a Toyato Hiace mini bus, which overturned, after being hit by motor car.

The accident occurred about 9:15 this morning.

In the meantime, SSP Allen says, both drivers are being processed by the police, and will be warned for prosecution.

He says, preliminary information suggests, that the bus transporting the school children, may not have been a legitimate unit, to transport persons.

The head of the traffic police is encouraging commuters to take legitimate transport, and drivers to drive with maturity and discipline on the roadways.

 

Please SHARE & LIKE our Facebook page https://facebook.com/latestlocalnews

Govt Exploring Class Action Suit for Bad Gas

Energy Minister, Phillip Paulwell, says the Government is exploring the possibility of compensating motorists who’ve been affected by contaminated gas.

Minister Paulwell made the disclosure during an oil and gas exploration tour of the vessel BGP Challenger at the Kingston Harbour this morning.

The Energy Minister is being quoted by the Gleaner newspaper as saying the Government will be looking at the possibility of a Government-sponsored class action lawsuit on behalf of consumers.

Paulwell says the Government wants to show that it’s fully in support of our consumers

Minister Paulwell says Cabinet on Monday gave permission for the possibility of a class action law suit to be explored after the three-member committee that he will be chairing prepares its report.

— 30 —

CDA launches child case management system

CDA launches child case management system

by Patrice Walters

The Child Development Agency (CDA) is now using a child case management system,  designed to improve the services offered to children in state care.

The system aims to better manage information, relating to the care and protection of those children.

The web-based system, valued at approximately $58 m will manage medical records, academic records, and monitoring of service delivery, such as court processing, and caseload management.

Chief Executive Officer of the CDA, Rosalee Gage-Grey, says the new system will help the agency with decision making, for each child.

She says the child case management system, has the capability to give alerts about the health status of each child in the system.

Phase one of the three-phased project which deals with demographic information, has been completed.

The first phase also manages the in-take, and general care of the children.

The system is one of several targeted interventions, which the ministry commenced implementing last year, to improve the services offered to the nation’s children.

During her presentation in the 2015 Sectoral Debate in May 2015, Youth Minister Lisa Hanna, said the system will facilitate information sharing among the ministry’s agencies – the CDA, Ooffice of the Children’s Registry, and Office of the Children’s Advocate.

 

Schafer Up for COCACAF Coach of the Year

Reggae Boyz coach Winfried Schafer, has been shortlisted for the CONCACAF coach of the year award.

Schafer guided Jamaica to the final of the CONCACAF Gold Cup last year.

The German will vie with Raul Gutierrez of Trinidad and Tobago, Miguel Herrera of Mexico and the USA’s Jurgen Klinsman.

General Manager of Harbour View Football Club, Clyde Jureidni, says Herrera is the front runner.

Reggae Boyz captain, Rudolph Austin made the shortlist for the player of the year award.

Jureidini says Austin’s nomination is merited.

Meanwhile, Andre Blake and Dwayne Miller have received the nomination for the goalkeeper of the year award.

Jueirdini says Blake is the stronger of the two nominees.

–30–

Craigy T launches clothing

Craigy T launches clothing

by K'Shema Francis

Craigy T of the former awesome foursome T.O.K has re launched his clothing line Royally Bold Styling (RBS).

The custom made short sleeved shirts have a clean cut, sharp lines and detailed stitching, that are tailored specifically for the classy male.

Craigy T talks with Music News about how the idea was born.

 

RBS collection is available at Avery’s Boutique located at 111B Molynes Road, Kingston.

Plans are also in the pipeline to expand the line to suits.

Room For Improvement after Scorpions Victory

The Jamaica Scorpions are second on the table with 10 points after three rounds of the Nagico Super-50 Tournament.

The Jamaicans defeated Barbados pride by 2-wickets to record their second win of the competition yesterday.

Scorpions skipper, John Campbell, says the team’s batting has much improvement to make.

–30–

Caribbean Cup draw takes place on Saturday

Caribbean Cup draw takes place on Saturday

by Wayde Brown

The draw for the 2015 Scotiabank Caribbean Cup will take place on Saturday at the Jolly Beach Resort & Spa in Antigua.

Defending champions Jamaica, Haiti, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad and Tobago – who are participating in FIFA World Cup qualifiers – will not participate in the draw which will feature 26 countries.

The competition, which is scheduled to take place during officially sanctioned FIFA international match periods giving Member Associations the opportunity to select their best-possible teams, will kick off in March.

Round two is scheduled for May; Round three in October; 5th Place playoff in November; and the finals in May 2017.

The top four teams will qualify to the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

In addition to the 2016 Men’s Caribbean Cup draw, the CFU Member Associations will gather for a General Meeting in a weekend that opens on Friday with a cocktail reception to be hosted by the Hon. Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda Gaston Browne.

The general meeting will be held during the day on Saturday. Between Saturday and Monday morning, the CFU delegates will hear from FIFA presidential candidates Jérôme Champagne, HRH Prince Ali Al Hussein, and Gianni Infantino, three of the five candidates who accepted the invitation to present their programs and answer questions posed by CFU Member Associations.

Sheikh Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa, whose schedule did not permit his presence at the meeting, has submitted a letter to be shared at the session.

Burke Mum on Pryce’s Future at PNP Secretariat

42417raymond_pryce

PNP General Secretary Paul Burke is refusing to comment on reports that influential forces in the PNP are pushing for the removal of Raymond Pryce as a Deputy General Secretary of the party.

Mr. Pryce is in charge of communication.

The embattled North East St. Elizabeth MP has been at the centre of controversy in the constituency, over whether he should remain as the party’s standard bearer for the next general elections.

Businessman Evon Redman has been ratified by the party to represent the constituency.

Yesterday comrades who are loyal to Pryce, travelled from St. Elizabeth to the PNP headquarters in St. Andrew demanding to have dialogue with the party hierarchy.

There they made a case for Mr. Redman to be replaced by Mr. Pryce.

Influential persons within the PNP are said to be lobbying to have Mr. Pryce stripped of his title of Deputy General Secretary.

A senior PNP official who was in yesterday’s emergency meeting at the party’s Old Hope Road Headquarters said Mr. Pryce was unconvincing when he told angry comrades that he accepts the PNP’s decision to install Mr. Redman as its candidate for North East St. Elizabeth.

Mr. Burke is refusing to comment on Mr. Pryce’s future with the party secretariat.

-30-