Fitter and more focused for 2016 – Harwood

VIEWED 16 TIMES
Contributed
Harwood

After the disappointment of missing out on a place in the Sunshine Girls’ netball squad to the 2015 World Cup in Australia, popular goal shooter Thristina Harwood is determined to get back to her best and retake her place as one of the most reliable shooters in the national team.

The UWI student admitted that school commitments hampered her ability to train consistently with the team last year, which led the coaching staff leaving her out of the final World Cup squad. But although she thought the decision was a just one, she admitted it was disappointing.

However, the 21-year-old who had an outstanding collegiate season with UWI and appears to be rediscovering her best form revealed that she has been putting in a lot of extra work on her own outside of her regular training time in order to shed some of the weight she has gained, maintain her fitness and help her return to the top of her game.

“I think it was an okay decision (being left out of World Cup squad) because I had extra classes and I was really missing a lot of training, and you know school comes first,” she recollected.

“So, days when they had fitness sessions, I could not make it because I had classes, even night classes. So I totally understand when they said I was not fit, and it is true. I wasn’t fit enough to go (World Cup). As far as shooting and movement are concerned I have that, but fitness plays a major part in games, so I totally understood that,” she told Saturday Sports.

Going to school and representing the national team is very challenging as Harwood has found out, but she has made a commitment to get back to her best and has started putting in the groundwork so that when the next Sunshine Girl assignment comes around, she will be in the kind of shape she needs to be in, in order to stake her claim for a place in the team.

UWI’s success this season was largely down to the 2013 Fast5 MVP, whose long-range shooting and movement in and around the circle, was unmatched and she intends to build on her progress.

“I am very serious for this year because I want to get back to the old Thristina. I have shed a little weight because I gained a few pounds … . I will have classes and I will miss a day or two (of national training), but I am also going to play basketball, so that will help to keep my fitness level up. You can definitely look out for a new Thristina Harwood, new physical appearance, much fitter, and playing excellent netball,” she stated.

Another Jailbreak

Three more prisoners are on the run in Westmoreland, after escaping from the Whithorn lock up on Wednesday.

The police are still searching for 21-year-old Romaine Jenkinson of Little London, Westmoreland, and 29 year old Marvin Wilson, otherwise called ‘Scammer Rass’ or ‘Grave Digger’ of Galloway Road also in Westmoreland.

Wilson is of dark complexion, medium build, about 5-feet-8 inches tall and has a small tattoo below his left eye.

Both are charged with murder.

The other escapee is 26 year old Orlando Jarrett of Red Ground in Negril, Westmoreland and Ricketts Street in Savanna-la-Mar.

Jarrett is of dark complexion, slim build, is about 5-feet-10 inches tall and his stomach area appears deformed.

He is charged for housebreaking and receiving stolen property.

The Police say they’ve recaptured a fourth escapee, 21-year-old Dondre Hyman, otherwise called ‘Donte’ of Fort Williams district in Westmoreland.

Anyone with information that can lead to the recapture of these prisoners is being asked to contact the Savanna-la-Mar Police at 955-2758, Police 119 emergency number or the nearest Police Station.

The police are also reminding residents that it’s an offence to harbour a criminal.

–30–

dcd4afe230e1e630f4541c53d7446dc6

Keep dangerous criminals behind bars – Commish

Ricardo Makyn
Williams

THE POLICE High Command has revealed that it plans to continue discussions with the judiciary to ensure that the most dangerous criminals remain behind bars after they are caught.

Police Commissioner Dr Carl Williams made the disclosure yesterday after he announced that a record 700 alleged murderers were arrested in Jamaica, last year.

“In 2015, we arrested more persons for murder than have ever been arrested [in a single year] in the history of Jamaica,” Williams said during a press conference at his St Andrew offices.

He said in some cases, investigators have found that one person was responsible for multiple murders in one incident and multiple killings in separate incidents.

“We have arrested three or four people who were involved in one murder in several different incidents,” Williams said.

According to police statistics, a total of 1,207 persons were reported killed last year, a 20 per cent jump when compared with 2014.

While noting that the 700 arrests represent a 54 per cent cleared-up rate for all murders reported last year, Williams said the police wants to ensure that dangerous criminals are not free to continue spreading mayhem in the society.

“We intend to continue the

dialogue with the judiciary and the magistracy to ensure that the people who are suppose to remain in custody do, in fact, remain in custody and we hope that we will continue to have a fair level of success in that regard,” Williams insisted.

“If they remain in custody, we will not see as many murders from those same [alleged] murderers. We will be impacting the number of murders happening in the society,” he continued.

His crime chief, Deputy Commissioner Glenmore Hinds, said police investigators are also focusing on building more airtight cases against dangerous criminals.

“Our cases are stronger and we hope that the strength of our cases will, in fact, convince the magistrate why these persons should not remain among the population,” Hinds underscored.

Please SHARE & LIKE our Facebook page https://facebook.com/latestlocalnews

Panthers seek NFL play-off revenge

AP
Carolina Panthers’ Cam Newton prepares to throw a pass during practice for the NFL football team in Charlotte, North Carolina, yesterday.

NEW YORK (AP):

The Carolina Panthers no longer appear apprehensive about playing the two-time defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks.

In fact, they’re pretty confident.

“We are the better team,” Panthers safety Roman Harper says matter-of-factly.

Harper and his teammates want to prove it again tomorrow when the teams meet in Charlotte in the NFL divisional play-offs. The winner advances to play the Arizona-Green Bay winner for the NFC Championship.

The Panthers took a big step forward when they went to Seattle and defeated the Seahawks 27-23 in Week 6, a victory that served as a springboard to their 14-0 start.

But it was more than just that.

That victory was about clearing a major obstacle for the Panthers. Before that, they had lost four times in three seasons to the Seahawks, including 31-17 in the divisional play-offs last January in Seattle.

Harper says the Panthers are better prepared for the Seahawks in these play-offs than they were last January, when they reached the postseason with a 7-1-8 record. That team was just happy to make the playoffs. This one wants to win it all.

Their defense forced an NFL-leading 39 turnovers and placed sixth overall in both yards and points allowed. They strutted to a 15-1 record, ruffling some feelings by their opponents along the way while scoring a league-most 500 points. Cam Newton made a strong case for the league MVP award, totalling 45 touchdowns and adding some flamboyant end zone dances.

The Panthers have not lost at home since November 2014, a string of 11 straight games, but the Seahawks are the least likely team to be intimidated on the road, with the swagger built by consecutive Super Bowl appearances, a wealth of Pro Bowl players discovered later in the draft, and the momentum this season they rode to an 8-2 finish.

Then there’s that last-minute loss to New England in the Super Bowl last season they’ve been determined to move past.

The last divisional play-off of the weekend, the Denver Broncos hosting the Pittsburgh Steelers, would be a lot more intriguing if all their stars were fit.

The Steelers’ injury report was getting way too crowded. Wide receiver Antonio Brown (concussion) and running back DeAngelo Williams (foot) were ruled out yesterday, while quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, dealing with a sprain to his right throwing shoulder, practised. Whether he plays will have a major impact on their chances.

The Broncos, however, know passer Peyton Manning isn’t at 100 percent efficiency either. Manning has endured various injuries in the worst regular season of his 18-year career to make his first start in two months.

Still, the Broncos are counting on his experience and the balanced attack they displayed when he returned to action in a victorious relief appearance of Brock Osweiler in Week 17. But if the Broncos are to advance, they may need to rely more on a defense that allowed the fewest yards in the league and had the most sacks (52).

The winner advances to the AFC Championship game against either New England or Kansas City.

Holness Hits the Road

Opposition Leader, Andrew Holness, says he has begun another tour of the country, in a bid to fine tune his party’s machinery in preparation for a general election.

On Sunday Mr. Holness placed all his caretakers on a 21 day election watch.

He made the tour announcement while speaking to party workers in Western Hanover at the Rusea’s High School in the parish on Tuesday.

The meeting followed an all day tour of the parish by the party leader, the General Secretary, Dr. Horace Chang and the Western Hanover caretaker, Brian Wallace.

–30–

Grateful Bolt, Fraser-Pryce top RJR Sportsman, Sportswoman awards

Previous Pause Next
Ricardo Makyn
Ricardo Makyn
1
2

Sprinters Usain Bolt and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce were on Friday night presented with the 2015 RJR Sports Foundation National Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year awards at the Jamaica Pegasus.

Bolt was winning his sixth Sportsman of the Year award, after copping titles in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013, while Fraser-Pryce, who also won in 2012 and 2013, was winning her third Sportswoman of the year award.

“I want to thank my fans, who supported me this season, I really needed it. I want to thank my coach, I put him through a lot of stress, he has stood by me this season … I want to thank God and I promise I will try to do my best this season,” said a grateful Bolt.

Fraser-Pryce, who won gold medals in the 100m and 4x100m at last year’s World Championships in Beijing, China, as well as the Diamond League 100m title, was also presented with the Sagicor Iconic award. The sprinter has won two Olympic gold medals and seven at the World Championships level since her ‘arrival’ at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

“Everything I have done is attributed to how much God has blessed me,” said Fraser-Pryce. “I am honoured to be here collecting this award a third time. I want to thank my coach for believing in me and putting up with me; and for me putting up with him sometimes.”

Bolt’s award, which now puts him second in the all – time list behind boxer Michael McCallum (7) came after another dominant season by the powerful sprinter, who won three gold medals at the World Championships (100m, 200m and 4x100m).

World Championships 100m hurdles gold medal winner Danielle Williams was the runner-up to the Sportswoman of the year, with shot put bronze medal winner O’Dayne Richards took home the male equivalent.

The first award of the evening went to veteran quarter-miler and cancer survivor Novlene Williams-Mills, who was presented with the Chairman’s award.

The People’s Choice Award for ‘Performance of the Year’ went to Jamaica’s senior women’s 4x400m relay team, which won gold at the World Championships, while former Netball Jamaica president Marva Bernard received the Lifetime Achievement Award.

Bolt & Shelly-Ann Lead Sportsman/Sportswoman of the Year Field

The top male and female athletes for 2015 will be crowned tonight at the National Sportsman and Sportswoman of the year awards.

The ceremony is set for the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel starting at 8:15pm.

Minister with responsibility for Sports, Natalie Neita-Headley, says regardless of who wins, all the athletes have done Jamaica proud.

Usain bolt is the front runner for the sportsman of the year award, while Alia Atkinson, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and boxer Alicia Ashley are the main contenders for the sportswoman award.

–30–

Billboard explains Joss Stone’s top ranks

Billboard explains Joss Stone’s top ranks

by K'Shema Francis

A representative of Billboard has addressed the publication’s pronouncement that Joss Stone is the number 1 reggae artist for 2015 and has the number 1 reggae album for the said year.

Following the declaration, Billboard received heavy criticisms from industry players and reggae lovers.

But how does the Billboard top Reggae Album Chart work? According to Patricia Meschino, a contributing writer for the magazine whose primary focus is on reggae, dancehall and Caribbean music, Billboard is based on sales and not quality.

Pat explains in an exclusive Music News interview.

Patricia further provides some insight about the Reggae Billboard’s function.

Entertainer Jah Cure currently sits in the number one position on the Billboard Top Reggae Album Chart with the Grammy nominated album The Cure.

Bolt Slips 27 Places on World Top Earning Sports Stars

The US business magazine, Forbes, says Usain Bolt earned over JMD$2.5-billion in 2015.

Forbes says the return, which is equivalent to USD$21-million, made Bolt one of the highest earning sports stars in 2015.

Bolt got most of his earnings via endorsement deals and on-track appearances.

Despite his earnings, he fell 27 places to come in at number 73 on the list of highest paid sports stars in 2015.

Boxer Floyd Mayweather, who earned an incredible USD$300-million, topped the list, ahead of fellow boxer Manny Pacquio, who made USD$160-million.

–30–

Christopher Martin snubs REBEL SALUTE…

Christopher Martin snubs REBEL SALUTE…

by K'Shema Francis

Christopher Martin has pulled out of REBEL SALUTE.

The “Big Deal” entertainer, who was expected to perform later this evening, is being tight-lipped about his last minute decision not to perform at the 2016 staging of the two day festival.

The organizers of Rebel Salute are yet to comment on his withdrawal.

Rebel Salute is set to take place tonight and tomorrow night with performances from a host of entertainers including I-Octane, Turbulence, Luciano, Tony Rebel, Beres Hammond, Queen Ifrica and Mavado.